San Diego Community Outreach Project
For the past two years, the Conservation Biology Institute (CBI), with support from The San Diego Foundation, has been coordinating community outreach for the San Diego National Wildlife Refuge (SDNWR) of the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) and for the California Department of Fish and Game (CDFG) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in south San Diego County.
This month, CBI's long time partner the Earth Discovery Institute (EDI) received a grant of $103,000 from the San Diego Association of Government's Transnet Environmental Mitigation Program to continue and build upon these efforts. A new community outreach project will assist the USFWS, CDFG, Endangered Habitats Conservancy (EHC), the BLM, The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and CBI with community and volunteer events that focus on improving public knowledge about and involvement with preserved lands in southern San Diego County.
The grant will support volunteer interpretive and habitat stewardship opportunities as well as student school habitat science field trips, via newsletters, the EDI website, and community presentations. These efforts will increase community awareness of rare and sensitive species and habitats and the opportunities to participate in interpretive and volunteer events. With the grant, EDI also aims to increase reporting of use and habitat issues on partner lands by recreation users and neighbors. By the end of May, EDI hopes to have their "new and improved" website up and running. It will include a list of all upcoming events for habitat lovers and volunteers.
Here is a list of upcoming events.
- Saturday, May 12, 2012, 9am-1pm: Tecate Cypress Exploration, Otay Mountain
- Saturday, May 12, 2012: International Migratory Bird Day at the Tijuana River Estuary
- Sunday, May 20, 2012, 9-11am: SD National Wildlife Refuge, Endangered Species Day Hike with Ranger Lisa, call (619)476-9150 ext.106
- Saturday, May 26, 2012, 8am-2pm: Crestridge Trail Work and BBQ with the San Diego Mountain Biking Association
- Sunday, June 24, 2012, 8-10am: SD National Wildlife Refuge, Pollinator theme Hike with Ranger Lisa, call (619) 476-9150 ext.106